5 Ingredients That Help With Acne Prone Skin
Sharing our Top 5 ingredients to look for when struggling with Acne Prone Skin
We all know that acne can be embarrassing, painful and emotionally debilitating. It can take over our minds, and really cause us to become introverts, even if that goes against everything our personalities desire. If you don’t know what it’s like to have acne, then I say this in the nicest way, this blog post probably isn’t for you.
If you have no idea where to even start, let me give you my tips for helping to prevent acne.
The most common forms of acne can show up in 2 different ways. (These are just the most common, there are many other forms of acne, and it’s best to go see a Dermatologist for the correct diagnosis.)
- Topical Acne: Topical mild acne is one of the most common forms of acne. It shows up in the form of blackheads or whiteheads on the top of the skin, and typically occurs when a hair follicle becomes clogged with oil or dead skin.
- Cystic Acne: This form of acne is best described as acne that is deep within the skin layers, and oftentimes feels hard to the touch, like a nodule, and can be very painful. This is the form of acne that I used to suffer from when I was in my 20’s. It was so painful to touch, and used to cause me to struggle all day with thinking about anything other than the painful acne on my face. In my case, I finally went to see a dermatologist, and was prescribed an oral medication (which I will explain below in tip #4), and after a few months my cystic acne was gone, and has almost never come back.
What can I do?
Here are my 4 Tips to help prevent acne from taking over your life.
- Always double wash your face & NEVER go to bed without washing your face as well. I know this seems simple, but I can’t tell you how many people I meet who don’t wash their face before bedtime. With acne prone skin specifically, you need to be cleansing your pores daily. The oil and dead skin build up in your pores needs to be cleaned out, to help prevent acne from occurring.
- Hydration both topically, and then from the inside out. Our skin needs hydration daily to function properly. So drink your water. I go for water with lemon every day.
- Know what ingredients to look for when you buy your skincare products. This step is very helpful because they're known ingredients that help with acne prone skin. I have my list of ingredients below, that you can screenshot and refer back to anytime you need to.
- Know when to go see a Dermatologist! I can not stress this step enough. I probably should have made this Tip #1, but here it is. Acne can show up in so many forms, and the longer you suffer the more long term scars you might have. The cause for my acne ended up being from a layer of bacteria underneath my skin. How would I ever have known that this was the problem I was having? My Dermatologist prescribed me an oral medication that I took for 3 months. I can say that that prescription she gave me worked wonders. It cleared up my painful cystic acne, and obviously killed all the bad bacteria under my skin. In the past 20 years now, following my own tips, I have only had 1 or 2 pop ups of cystic acne spots (not my entire face). So I cannot stress it enough, if you feel like you just can’t get your acne under control, go see a Board Certified Dermatologist and they should be able to help you.
Here are my Top 5 ingredients to look for in your skincare products, and the benefits they provide acne-prone skin.
- Aloe Juice - rich in antioxidants and vitamins that protect and hydrate your skin.
- Glycerin - helps the skin to retain hydration along with relieving dry irritated skin.
- Allantoin - a soothing and protectant ingredient. It is also known to help in the healing process that is sometimes necessary for acne-prone skin.
- Chamomile Extract - soothing and helps with cell renewal.
- Willow Bark Extract - a non-irritating gentle exfoliator that works as a natural source of salicylic-acid, helping to exfoliate the skin and remove excess oil. In addition, the salicin in Willow Bark Extract helps to dissolve debris in clogged pores and kill off the bacteria in that area as well.
Our new “Aloe Collection” has been formulated for those who suffer from acne-prone skin. With all 5 of the ingredients above in our formulation, we hope to help all of our customers in their acne journey. You can find our collection in our SHOP.
(I do want to add that there are many more ingredients that I did not go into in this blog post, such as Retinoids, & Antibiotics). I just wanted to give a starting point for acne prevention.
SunLux Skincare Aloe Collection
“Acne can be painful and emotionally paralyzing,
if you see someone struggling with acne
It could be you one day”.
#Acne / #Skincare / #Ingredients
All Rights Reserved © 2020-2022 SunLux Skincare
*Disclaimer: I am a trained Cosmetic Skincare Formulator and this article is intended for educational purposes only. SunLux never claims to heal or cure any skin conditions. If you need additional help we always recommend our customers & readers go see their local Dermatologist.